Dnes je pondělí 23.1.2017
Svátek má Zdeněk, zítra Milena
The town Sedlčany
You can contact us via the contact form.
Regional Information Centre:
- nám. TGM 32, 26480 Sedlčany, Czech Republic
- Tel.: +420 318 821 158, Fax.: +420 318 875 666
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Town of Sedlčany is situated in the Central Bohemian region, sixty kilometers south of Prague. Sedlčany has a population of about 8 000 people. The Church of St. Martin is the town´s most splendid architectonic monument. In the late 16th century, the famed fish-pond builder Jakub Krčín obtained Sedlčany from its former aristocratis owners, the Rožmberks. An inestimable value of Sedlčany region is a beatiful manifold country offerings possibilities for an active recreation on Slapy reservoir and more than 100 km of marked bike ways.
Děkanský chrám sv. Martina (Decanal cathedral of St. Martin)
A Gothic cathedral built in 14th century by house of Rosenberg in a place of an old church. Beside the cathedral is a chapel and a tomb.
That building was built in 1842 in a baroque style. An original building burnt up. On a frontage of the building is situated a memorial plaque dedicated to Mr. František Bučil, who was busted by a communistic regime and later died in prison hospital.
Hřbitovní kostel na Nebevzetí Panny Marie (Cemetery church)
A baroque church built in 1732 – 1734. Around the church is a graveyard. The church is not open to public.
Sedlčanská radnice (Sedlčany town hall)
The bohemian Renaissance style town hall was designed by a prague architect Jan Heidl. Façade is ornate in Neo-renaissance style with secession components. The building has got two floors. A tower forms the centre of the town hall. This building is a dominant and dignified decoration of a Sedlčany square. A groundfloor served originally as a magistrate’s office, a town secretary’s office and a guard room. Firstfloor was stipulated for a town savings bank (SPOŘITELNA in czech), which you can notice even today, as there is a big signs over the door opossite stairs. The signs says SPOŘITELNA, which means savings bank. In second floor was a huge conference hall. Nowdays there are offices of municipality inside the building.
Stará radnice (Old town hall)
Originally renaissance so – called „old town hall“, nowdays seat of a town museum. In 16th century was that building decorated by sgraffito and a turbinated gable. In a basement of that building is sitionary a gothic column. That old town hall, today’s museum, was twice damaged by couflagration, for particular while was the building entirely desolated. After those factors there was need to execute a lot of repairs. Later was the building left for different purposes then a civic administration is. In 2002 was the old town hall reconstructed into the town museum, which exposes interesting documents and intriguing objects from Sedlčany region since primeval ages by the present. The hall in groundfloor serves as a place for making short – time expositions. In that hall is a cosy cafe as well (free WIFI spot).
Zámek Červený Hrádek (Červený Hrádek Chateau)
Current appearance of the Červený Hrádek Chateau designed world – renowned architect Jan Kotěra in 19th century. Beautiful part of this object is a manor park. The castle is in a private property of Mladota family of Solopisky (noble Family) and the only part open to public is the manor park, which is perfectly trim and very interesting. Opposite chateau tourists can find a pound there is an eyot with column of the crucification in a centre.
Zámek Vysoký Chlumec (Vysoký Chlumec castle)
The castle is located on the top of a picturesque partially forested hill, which is straight above a village called Vysoký Chlumec. At present, the castle is inhabited and tourists are not allowed to come in.
Zámek Radíč (Radíč Chateau)
Early baroque chateau in Radíč is two – storeyed building from 17th century with a rich decoration of interiors. By a close chapel there are two sculptures of saints (St. Vít, St. Jan Nepomucký). The building is in a private property, but open to public since July 2010. There is a courtyard in the centre of that complex. On ridge of a roof of an eastern annex overtowers a turret. Opposite an eastern frontage of the chateau is placed ,originally lorrete, chapel.
Zámek Třebnice (Třebnice Chateau)
Baroque chateau is situated in a village called Třebnice, which is about 6 km far from Sedlčany. In 1766 there was born Austrian field – marshal Jan Václav Radecký of Radeč. During communism there was established forestry school. The building is not open to public.
Zámek Vrchotovy Janovice (Vrchotovy Janovice Chateau)
Since the beginning of the 20th century many presonalities from different artistic fields visited the chateau. The most significant visitors in the history of Vrchotovy Janovice were two Czech natives whose mother tongue was German – poet, Rainer Maria Rilke, and journalist, dramatist and poet, Karl Kraus. Those guests were invited by the last owner Sidonie Nádherná, who was dedicated to the arts. The chateau was originally the Gothic water stronghold, later rebuilt to Renaissance – baroque style, afterwards it was modified to rococo style and last the chateau was modified to Neogothic style. Nowdays the chateau is in an ownership with National Museum in Prague and includes an exposition called „Society in Bohemia in 19th century“, furthermore expositions „Rilke, Kraus and Vrchotovy Janovice“ and „ Bohemian campanology“.
Krčínova tvrz v Křepenicích (Krčín Stronghold in Křepenice)
The most considerable owner of the stronghold was Jakub Krčín, who received Sedlčany domain from the Rosenbergs for his loyal services. Later he bought Křepenice village, where he built his seat, a decuman Renaissance stronghold. At present an extensive reconstruction is in progress. The current owner wants to establish there Krčín’s museum in Krčín stronghold.
Nová radnice v Sedlčanech (A new townhall in Sedlčany)
In 1903 there was finished building of the new town hall in Sedlčany, which was festively opened that year. From 21 concepts won a Neo – Renaissance project of Jan Heidl. Facade of the building is very decorative. The building serves as seat of civic authorities and Regional informative centre.
Stará Sedlčanská radnice (Old Sedlčany town hall)
The old town hall is situated on the Eastern side of T. G. Masaryk square. This town hall burnt out several times so there was need to rebuild the building, which is the reason why a current look of the building is different then the original look. At present the building serves as town museum.
Památník Josefa Suka a rodná světnička (Memorial of Josef Suk and his native room)
The house in picturesque village called Křečovice was built by composer’s father in 1895. Josef Suk used to spend there his time off and found there a lot of inspiration, calmness and concentrations for composition. Josef Suk bequeath the house to his son, who established there the memorial after his father’s death. At present the memorial is administrated by the National Museum in Prague. Inside of the memorial there are two rooms with original funiture (Suk’s grand piano, collection of pottery, pictures, sculptures, medals and other subjects). Exposition placed in other parts of the house is devoted to the Bohemian Quartet and Suk’s composer piece.
Zřícenina hradu Vrškamýk (The Vrškamýk Castle Ruins)
Ruins of a royal castle found by Václav I. in 13th century towery on a narrow ridgy hook, known as Vrškamýk is a nice place situated nearby Kamýk nad Vltavou village, the place is good for afternoon trip.
Zřícenina hradu Zvěřinec (The Zvěřinec Castle Ruins)
The Zvěřinec Castle was probably established about 1362. In 1413 master John Huss abided there. It is said that the castle was obtained and burnt out. To call Zvěřinec by ruin or even by castle at present is possible only with using a fair amount of fantasy, as tourists can’t see there any ruins of it. That place is only symbolic spot with a nice view.
Oppidum Hrazany (Oppidum Hrazany)
On the hill in Hrazany nearby Radíč village there is situated a former fortified Celtic settlement. Nowdays tourists can see there only a few boulders and stones.
Štola Josef – Mokrsko (Gallery Josef – Mokrsko)
Underground Educational centre Josef serves to education of students of Civil Engeneering, Czech technical University in Prague. The centre Josef situated in former explorational gallery. Other activites include research and cooperation a projects commussioned by the private business sector. The range of activities provided by the Josef facility is unique not only in the Czech Republic but thorouht the whole of Europe. Currently visitors are allowed to see the first 600 metres of the gallery. More information: www.uef-josef.eu
Větrný mlýn u Příčov (Windmill at Příčovy)
A Dutch type windmill tower on a rocky hill at Příčovy. With its size, it is among the largest structures of this type in Europe. There are still disputes about its age. It was built probably by Krčin of Jelčany and Sedlčany or by Lobkowicz noblemen.
Židovský hřbitov v Kosově Hoře (Jewish cemetery in Kosova Hora)
An old Jewish cemetery (established about 1580) located by border of Kosova Hora village is among very distinguished monuments of that region. In 17th century was Kosova Hora Europe significant Jewish town. An unique cemetery with old tomb stones was saved and tourists can visit this place because it’s open to public.
Husova kazatelna (Hus pulpit)
The biggest perched boulder can be found above Žemličkova Lhota in the Petrovice region. The reason for protection of this natural landmark is occurrence of uncommon amount of huge granite boulders. The boulder is called the Hus pulpit as there allegedly Jan Hus (Czech significant and historically important priest, pulpit, reformer and master at Charles Uiversity in Prague) preached. The other interesting boulders are „Zkamenělá žába“ („The fosilized frog“) or „Pecen chleba“ („Loaf of bread“). Thorough this teritorry leads a nature trail Petrovicko (Petrovice region).
KŘÍŽOVÉ CESTY (STATIONS OF THE CROSS)
Jesenice Křížová cesta (Jesenice stations of the cross)
The stations of the cross in Jesenice was purportedly established in 1836. In 1913 it was need to repair the stations and the crosses. The last reparation proceed in 2004. The stony crosses were care given. The stations of the cross consist 17 crosses.
Počepice Křížová cesta (Počepice stations of the cross)
The stations of the cross in Počepice was established between 1861 and 1888 and tourists can find there 14 crosses. In 2001 was the stations of the cross repaired and later that year was dedicated again. The way leads uphill, but on the top of the hill you can have an amazing view.
TIPY NA VÝLET (TRIP TIPS)
Kunclův mlýn (Kuncl’s Mill)
Kuncl’s Mill on the Brzina Creek is surrounded by woods and meadows. It is the only one from nearly 20 mills on Brzina to use the power of water in an original way again to produce electricity by a water wheel with a diameter of 3,5 metres. Since 1998 there is a saw onto water drive. The premises of the mill serve as an ecofarm with acommodation, for horse – breeding, touristic attraction and you can find there workroom of an artistic blacksmith.
Vodní dílo Orlík (Hydroelectric Plant Orlík)
Hydroelectric Plant Orlík holds the most quatities of water among the all reservoirs in the Czech Republic. You can find there a high – efficiency storage hydroelectric plant with four adjustable – blade – type turbines. The hydroelectric plant has got a huge importance for recreation and shipping transport. From a dam visitors can view gorgeous countryside around Solenice.
Vodní dílo Slapy (Hydroelectric Plant Slapy)
Hydroelectric Plant Slapy is a dam reservoir on the river Vltava nearby Slapy village. It is the fifth largest dam in Czech Republic.
It was more than 40 years ago when a group of enthusiast started cutting and making of telescopes in order to look at the night sky. A first meeting of an astronomic club was on on the 3rd July, 1956. A big share in a creation of the astronomic club took astronom Dr. Plavec. Later members of that club decided about a building of observatory in a place called Cihelný Vrch (in Sedlčany). The building was finished and approved on the 22nd November, 1961. In the spring 1962 there was mounted Zeiss – coudé telescope. That time it was opened to public. At present it is open to everybody who cares about astronomy and Fridays nights it is open to public (people can watch objects of the night sky. Straight watching by a big telescope goes always with a cinemascope of pictures of objects (by projector). The watching is succeeded by an interpretation and discussion concerning assorted branches and topics of astronomy.
PŘÍRODNÍ ZAJÍMAVOSTI (NATURAL INTERESTS)
Drbákov, Albertovy skály (Drbákov, Albert’s cliffs)
In 1933 declared a protected territory called Drbákov’s yews. In 1977 was the protection extended to neighbouring Abert’s cliffs. The main reason for protection is plentiful occurrence of red yews on local talus slopes. The territory is very valuable from both botanic and zoology aspects. Tourists can see there quanta of protected and very rare kind of plants, for example broomrape, common spotted orchid, greater butterfly orchid, small pasqueflower and aster amellus. Concerning a living being, who lives in that area, tourists can meet there European green lizard, cicadetta montana, honey buzzard and fire salamander. Through the territory leads a nature trail.
Kočičí zámek is located among fields west of seattlement called Tisovnice, which is in Petrovice region. Locality was proposed to be protected because of occurence of wood – anemone, which is very rare plant in that region. That place is actually a lime hillock and there was also discovered a small cave in that area. The other plants which tourists can see there and which are good to mention are Large Speedwell, Common Moonwort (fern) and paigle. Among birds in that area nests red-backet shrike.
Musík (a pound)
The pound is situated between Dublovice and Nalžovice (in Sedlčany region). It is the largest pound in Sedlčany region. That locality around the pound is unique in light of ornithology. In that area occur, for example osprey (sea – eagle), common snipe, ferruginous duck, great crested grebe and among amphibians there can be seen fire – bellied toad. From among plants is possible to see there a rare Bolboschoenus yagara.
Vrškámen (a natural monument)
The natural monument Vrškámen is located among fields southeast of Petrovice. Since 1977 declared a protected territory. The main reason why that place is protected is a floating boulder which is situated in the area and which is the biggest one in Centre Bohemia. That one is also called “Devil’s boulder”
Vymyšlenská pěšina (a nature reserve)
The nature reserve is placed on the left side of Vltava River, nearby Mokrsko. A protected area since 1989. The main reason for protection of the area is a good state of local countryside, where can be found a lot of kinds of rare plants.
Městské muzeum v Sedlčanech (Town museum in Sedlčany)
- allowance organization
- exhibits of prehistoric era and of Middle Ages era, exhibits of duration of both World War I and World War II, knight harness, weapons, fascimile of precious Krčín’s hymn – book, cheektooth of mammoth, a high bicycle from the end of 19th century, ruins of bombarder from the Second World War and hundreds more objects, documents and photos from the past and the present too.
Muzeum vesnických staveb středního Povltaví (Open air museum)
Museum is located in a small village called Vysoký Chlumec. The whole area fall within Mining museum Příbram. The property was made available to public in 2002. Currently there is placed 9 historic objects in that area. The visitors can see farmer’s homesteads, cottages, small houses, farm buildings, technical construction driven by water and some religious objects.